Saturday, May 26, 2007

Grandma's Gaydar


Today my Mom and I drove up to Cocoa Beach to meet my sister there for a Beach Day. It kind of made me sad in a way. My Mom used to take me and my sister to the beach when we were little and now we were all grown up. I guess the sadness was 'time is passing'.

Well anyway, these 2 guys walked by us on the beach, doing the stroll, and when they passed, my sister just said 'gay'. I added 'I second that'.

A few minutes later my mother said, you know who could tell the gays? Nana. She could spot them.

My sister said, oh com'n when I was little, I remember she used to complain about Liberace and most of the guys on Hollywood Squares being gay, that was no stretch.

Oh no, she had the gift, she would go on about Rock Hudson, James Dean, Dennis Hopper, all gay.

Dennis Hopper? my sister queried, he's been married....

He was married for a week to the skinny girl in the Mama's and the Papa's, she probably discovered he was gay. Remember his career started in the 50's and your Nana loved the movies and the movie stars. Alot of them came to Miami back in the day.

So Nana had the gaydar.

Hmmmm? My mother was puzzled.

The gay radar Mom.

Ohhhhh gaydar. Well hmmm. You both seem to have the gaydar.

It was true, my sister and I could spot the gays. We would argue about different movie actors or athletes and their gayness. My sister would say I was in denial if I didn't agree that a certain actor was gay, when she knew he was. We both had gaydar, but yes, it could be clouded by denial in not wanting to believe someone we may have had a masturbatory crush on, would prefer sucking cock to eating pussy. We would argue about guys who we knew being gay, guys we were 'dating', guys we would just randomly spot. But sometimes we instantly agreed on 'the gay'.

The gaydar gene must have skipped a generation, my sister commented.

My mother only sighed.

No comments: